Working Bees at HPS have operated successfully over a number of years because of the time and expertise generously donated by volunteers like you!
Held once a term, Working Bees involve families coming together to complete projects that enhance the environment in which our children can learn, play and grow, and which otherwise would have to be outsourced at great cost.
These have included:
- The Pagoda Tree Garden, Cherry Blossom Walk and Japanese Fruit Garden, to reflect HPS’s bilingual program in its environment.
- Raised Veggie Beds, to complement the ‘Where does our food come from’ aspects of the HPS school curriculum
- Mulching the majestic old pine trees and other new plantings, such as those in the Bush Tucker Garden and Biodiversity Garden, to keep them healthy in hot weather and safe.
- Landscaped Play Tunnels and natural log Parkour play areas, to provide a new play experience for our children
- Installing the new Koi Fish Mural behind the Art Room.
In addition to improvement projects, Working Bees also include regular tasks to keep the school tidy, such as painting, weeding, sweeping and raking back tan bark under playground equipment as well as cleaning and tidying library books.
It’s a great opportunity for families and children to meet in a different social setting, as well as contributing to improvements and care of the school. Each Working Bee finishes with a BBQ, to thank our lovely volunteers!
So pack your gloves, brooms and tools and volunteer to help at a Working Bee! Whether it’s just one hour or more, HPS needs your help. Every bit counts!
2018 Working Bee dates for your calendar:
Term 1 Saturday 3 March 9am-12pm
Term 2 Sunday 27 May 9am-12pm
Term 3 Sunday 5 August 10am-1pm
Term 4 Saturday 17 November 4pm-7pm (Twilight Working Bee)
Children are very welcome to come along and join in!
Working Bees are coordinated by the HPS Sustainability and Grounds Sub-Committee.
All enquiries regarding Working Bees and suggestions for projects can be directed to Anna-Maria Kendrick at email@example.com
Please download the photo consent for parent and volunteers here:
Parent volunteer consent to photograph